Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Breaking the Golden Rule - Book Recommendation

I say I'm breaking the Golden Rule here because I generally have no use for someone suggesting a book to me when the book they're suggesting obviously flies in the face of my faith. Well, since Demian has set the precedent for this, I'm using him as my excuse for recommending a book.

I recently read "What's So Great About Christianity" by Dinesh D'Souza. I thought it was great. He lays bare every argument you have heard made by the devout atheists. Actually, I don't know about that, I said that mostly because I wanted to mock Demian as he said something like it in his post. I do think it's a well written book that at the least will challenge atheists, agnostics, apatheists and the like and give them a new angle to look at some things from.

To go a step further then Demian did in mocking himself for annoyingly suggesting a book, which I've already done... I'll counter my suggestion by giving the atheist crowd one not to bother with, this way I'm not the guy who suggests every book he reads to someone else.... "Reasons of the Heart" by William Edgar. This book is alright, parts of it are edifying for people of faith... nothing I'd suggest to any of you in the atheist crowd though.

A brief review from one of your own... Michael Shermer says...


As an unbeliever, I passionately disagree with Dinesh D’Souza on some of his positions. But he is a first-rate scholar whom I feel absolutely compelled to read. His thorough research and elegant prose have elevated him into the top ranks of those who champion liberty and individual responsibility. Now he adds Christianity to his formula for the good society, and although non-Christians and non-theists may disagree with some of his arguments, we ignore him at our peril. D’Souza’s book takes the debate to a new level. Read it.

No comments: